James Maguire is the only male student at Our Lady Immaculate College.
James is the cousin of Michelle Mallon. He is the son of her aunt Kathy, who traveled to England, from Derry, to have an abortion. Instead she chose to keep the pregnancy, resulting in her giving birth to James. James moved to Derry with his mother Kathy when he was 15 years old.
James began to attend Our Lady Immaculate College, an all-girls school, and is the first (and so far only) male to do so. He did not attend the local boys’ school for fear he would be harassed due to the fact that he is English. On his first day of school, his mother moved back to London, without his knowledge, leaving him in the care of his aunt.
James is not used to life in Northern Ireland and has found it difficult to adjust. He is often the butt of most jokes, made mainly by his cousin Michelle. James is a polite, awkward teenage boy that is slowly emotionally toughing up, and is beginning to bite back against teasing.
James does not like fish and chips, saying the smell makes him feel sick. He admires the boy band Take That specifically Gary Barlow, as a song writer. He does not like that people in Derry use the term "wee" to describe things that aren't always small.
James had a short romantic relationship with Katya, a visitor from Ukraine. He took Erin to prom after her original date did not arrive. He missed his Doctor Who convention for this.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- There's a mural of the Derry Girls, in Derry, featuring Dylan Llewellyn, as the Wee English Fella.
- According to Nicola Coughlan, the people of Derry favour his character the most; they also showed concern, questioning where he was in the mural, as Dylan's character, James, was one of the last to be painted.
- I'm a boy, Michelle, I'm a real life boy!
- There is no gay thing!
- I'm not gay.
- I support gays, even though I myself am not actually gay.
- Well, how do things work here? How do they work? Will one of you please explain it to me because sometimes I feel like I've gone through the fucking looking glass.
- This isn't windolene, this is mayonnaise.
- I AM A DERRY GIRL!